Saturday, April 17, 2010

Strolling Through Slovensko

On April 6 we went to Bratislava, Slovakia. We started out having a late start. We went to the train station and took the next train. When we got to Bratislava we figured out that the train we took took us to a suburb of Bratislava. They said,"Take a taxi, it should only cost you 5 to 10 Euro." So we went and asked the taxi driver how much it would cost to go from here to Old Town. He said,"Fifteen." My mom said,"What? No!" They got into a huge fight and then a nice man came and asked, "May I help you?" He took us over to buy bus tickets and we got four bus tickets for 1,20 Euro.
We went to Old Town and I got a red and orange coin purse for Regan as a present to put her foreign coins in. I was so glad that I found something for Regan, especially since it's the same kind of thing I am giving Reyna for her birthday. We saw a particularly cool clock tower. We got awesome ice cream and hot chocolate too!
As I was browsing for patches, I saw two country patches: Slovakia and Slovensko. I chose Slovensko because that's what locals call it.
We went up to the Bratislava Castle next. The Bratislava Castle is like walls forming a square and in the square is a palace. We didn't see the palace very well because it was being renovated.
We went back to Old Town and asked which way it was to walk to the main train station. Everybody we talked to said, "That way, but you'll have to take the bus. It is too far to walk." My mom was confused because the travel guide Rick Steves said you could get there in 15 minutes from the Old Town by foot. We took the bus on the one that went to the train station. On the way, my mom figured out that we would miss the train we were planning to take back to Vienna and the next train back wasn't for two hours!
The bus stopped right by the Grassalkovich Palace so we decided to get off and see it. I am so glad that we got to see it. While we were there the guards were stomping around. Oh, and by the way, Dad, right across the street from it was an Ernst and Young office!
The Grassalkovich Palace took at least an hour out of our wait. When we got to to the train station (the right one this time) the train was already in the station and waiting. We got on and my mom got off the train for a few minutes to go to a little snack shop right outside our train window and she got us some snacks for the train. The whole time she was getting the snacks we were all afraid the train would leave her behind, even though we had 15 minutes before the train was supposed to leave. Luckily it didn't. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment