On Thursday we explored Rome for the first time. We met Mom's old friends, Janice, Nicky, and Lizzy. We took the metro to Spagna and we saw the Spanish Steps. We climbed up the Spanish steps and we saw the church Trinita' Dei Monti at the top. I really loved the Spanish Steps. The church was beautiful too. After that Nicky and I started arguing about which way to go to get to the Panteon. We made a bet for Gelato and my path was chosen and I won the bet!
It was too bad that the Pantheon was being renovated. It still was cool. There was a big hole in the building that I didn't know what it was for, but whenever it rained it sure got in there. The Pantheon is now used as a church. The most important person buried there is Raphael (and he sure didn't rest in peace). There was always a tour or a crowd of people crowded around the tomb.
After the Pantheon we went to the Trevi Fountain and I thought that was the coolest fountain I had ever seen in the 2 months I've been in Europe. In the middle Poseidon stands with his trident. At the fountain I closed my eyes and turned my back to the fountain and threw it over my shoulder and it didn't go into the fountain, it went right down a small drain. I guess that's probably good luck.
We hurried over to the Vatican after that because Janice had set up a 3:30 private tour of the Vatican. We got there with little time to spare. The tour guide's name was Franchesca. Franchesca gave us a wonderful tour. She took us through the museums first and that was cool. We saw a 3000+ year old mummy that still had flesh and color in her hair. We saw amazing sculptures too. After the museums we entered the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo painted the whole chapel. The ceiling took 4 years to paint and The Last Judgement and the rest of the walls took 5 years to paint.
Next, we went to the biggest church in the world... Saint Peters. I thought that it was the most beautiful church I've ever seen. It had the most beautiful statue too. The statue was of Mary cradling Christ's head. It was such a beautiful church. It was one of the best days on the trip!

Beautiful...can't wait to hear all about it.
ReplyDeleteMy dream is to get to Florence someday. I'd take Rome in a pinch--especially if it all looks as pretty as the photo up there. Can't wait for more.
ReplyDeleteI love your writing Cade - you're really funny and great at expressing your thoughts. ( : What a fabulous trip, I'm jealous. For the record, I think the fact that your coin went down the drain is absolutely good luck...like a slam dunk of luck. That's just my opinion. The Taylor's are a great family, I'm sure it was nice to tour the city with them. Love you! Can't wait for more posts.
ReplyDeleteI love all the pictures and hearing about your adventures. Roy and I were there 8 years ago and your post brought back a lot of memories. I'm glad you had fun! Not many kids your age get to experience so much culture and history outside their immediate area.
ReplyDelete